Dangerous Holiday Items for your PetUpdated: November 30, 2023
Holiday items can be dangerous for pets. The holiday season brings us so much joy and a gazillion reasons to celebrate and decorate our house to suit the events. But do you know that some of your decorations can put your fur-babies in danger?
We've come up with a list of dangerous holiday items for pets, along with some holiday pet safety tips to keep your furbaby safe this holiday season.
Your fur-baby's puppy eyes are pretty hard to resist, but no matter how pleading those eyes are, never give in to the urge to give them leftover scraps, especially when there are bones. Leftover scraps from your holiday table are fatty foods and this can cause diarrhea, vomiting and can promote pancreatitis, a threatening inflammation of the pancreas that generates dangerous enzymes and causes dehydration. Additionally, leftover bones can splinter and pierce your fur-baby's internal organs or cause painful constipation.
Sugar-free baked goodies
Holiday goodies may appear like a very mouth-watering treat for your fur-baby, but these goodies are made with xylitol, an artificial sweetener. This can cause your fur-baby's blood pressure to decrease to seriously low levels.
Chocolates might be good for us, but it isn't good for our pets. Chocolates, when ingested by your fur-baby, can cause seizures, diarrhea, tremors, and if not given medical attention immediately, can even be life-threatening. This is why chocolates should be kept away from your fur-babies at all times.
It is sad to hear but, yep, our very own Christmas tree is one of the dangerous holiday items for our pets. Christmas trees have pine needles that may pierce through your fur-baby's paws (if he attempts to climb it) or may be ingested and may injure your dog's gastrointestinal tract. Instead, you can consider using paper or plastic Christmas trees.
Keep those electrical cords out of your fur-baby's reach. This is one of the dangerous holiday items that does not only harm your pet but your household, too! Your fur-baby might get tangled on those cords and worse, might even chew on them! This presents a new hazard of getting electrocuted or of starting a fire. Instead, provide your fur-baby with Gnawtlers® for him to chew on. Gnawtlers® are specially selected chews from Grade A premium raw elk antlers and deer antlers that make a perfect gift for your gnawing dog.
Alcohol is a big no-no for your pet (even if he seems thirsty). You should never give your pet any alcoholic beverages as this depresses his nervous system. Also, keep him away from eggnog, coffee, tea, soda, and sports drinks as these may cause diarrhea and loose stools.
Yep, your house guests can be dangerous for your pets. First, your fur-baby has never met these people and this will scare him or make him anxious as he is still yet to build trust with them. Second, your pet might get a little bit curious about your visitors' suitcases. These suitcases may contain pain medications, sugar-free gums, etc and maybe ingested by your fur-baby.
Visitors can cause a lot of stress for pets. This can also trigger your pet to get loose and escape. Make sure your pet has updated ID tags or microchips.
You can provide Pet Parents® Dog Calming Supplement that will provide your fur-baby with powerful ingredients that help act as a calming aid him in stressful situations.
Plan a Pet-Safe Holiday Gathering
- If your pet easily gets stressed out with new people at home, keep her in a safe place - may be inside a crate or in a quiet room away from all the hustle and bustle of house guests.
- Give your pet his own quiet space to retreat to—complete with fresh water, a small amount of dog food (in case he gets hungry), a place to snuggle, and dog diapers to give him the freedom to pee or poop anytime he wants, saving him from the stress and inconvenience of doing business outside .
- Dog diapers can also save you from the hassle of crazy clean-ups!
- To add more leakage protection, consider placing pee pads under your fur-baby's crate or bed.
- Make sure all the dangerous items and substances that your pet might ingest are out of their reach, locked away or are kept in zip-locked bags.
The holidays are a festive time, but the season brings added dangers for pets. Keep your furry friends away from these items to ensure a merry holiday for all.